Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Bingo Coasters

I really should call these Jane’s Bingo Coasters because, bless her heart, she designed them back in 1987, and I’ve begun doing them, too. Even though I still miss her friendship deeply (she passed, at 80, in Feb.), she left me a valuable inheritance - attention to quality.

When I began crocheting, and knitting, and embroidery, as a child, in the 1940s, my DM would insist I do each item “just right.” I can’t tell you how many times I watched her rip something out and start over because it just wasn’t right. Then, decades later, I watched Jane doing the same thing. It finally caught on in my wee brain.

Anyhow, I have fun making these Bingo coasters. I have them in my Etsy store but they have only just now begun to catch on. I didn’t know how to approach a suggestion for how to choose a number for the buyers. A Special Order this week showed me a great way. This gal ordered some for her mom. She picked a number for her mom’s birth year, one for her mom’s anniversary year, and I forget what the third one was for. She also chose pink for her mom’s birth year because her mom is a breast cancer survivor.

These are grand ways to choose a number and/or color. It is far better, IMHO, than choosing a Lucky Number. Well, in a way, these examples truly are the luckiest of numbers... these are numbers commemorating the luckiest days of her mom’s life.

No comments: