Sunday, July 19, 2009

Blogs vs Websites

I’ve been having second thoughts these past few months about the upkeep of a blog versus that of a website. I have both but I rarely mention my website anymore because the upkeep does not seem to balance the results and it is terribly out of date.

My website, through Homestead, costs me $24.95 a month, which may sound low but which is very hard for me to pay this past six months. I originally set it up to handle several topics: Home, Prayer, Crafts, Writing/Editing, Reunion Mementos, and Making Money from a Computer. It is poorly done although they have great tools. For anyone considering a full-service website, I do recommend them. But for me, I think I will salvage the files and just close it down.

Reason? My Etsy store costs less than eBay for selling handmade items. I can easily sell all my handcrafted items, including my self-published paperback (The Busy Person’s Prayer Book), a Christmas Poem that I sell on cardstock as a poster, and my Reunion Reports. I can even expand my Reunion Mementos focus...

Also, my Blog can easily take care of my articles on Crafting and Prayer, free of charge. The Blog, now that I have LeeLou’s template with the menu buttons across the top and a 3-column format, looks good enough to me. I can add another button for my Writing/Editing and Computer-Generated Income articles which I have not even begun to work on yet.

Yes, I really think it’s time to shut down my high-maintenance website and stick to just Etsy and my Blog. They are both easy to post to, easy for adding images, easy to track stats.

Writing this post definitely helped me make my decision. Now I just need to make sure I save any files from the Homestead site that are important.

No comments: