Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Crochet with Beads

I have fallen in love with crocheting beads using cotton thread. I have a few patterns, but I find myself more inclined to make things up as I go along, or to adapt patterns to suit my desires. I especially like the over-the-head necklaces. I have not been brave enough to tackle clasps and other findings, at least not just yet.

I like the cotton thread for the summer, especially. Metals tarnish on my skin in our 118 degree heat. If they get soiled from wear, those with the cotton thread can simply be dipped in a wee sauce cup of detergent for a short while, rinsed, and drip dried. I can make a whole wardrobe of them, to suit each blouse or top that I have. I can also use nylon filament, dental floss, fishing line, and other non-metal strings.

Some beads are far heavier than others. I need to begin to take this into consideration. I don’t like something around my neck that pulls me down. I like bright and airy for hot summer days and nights.

I will probably begin to sell some of these on my Etsy store. I hope that if I like them, others will, too. I began them because I received one in a swap and fell in love with it and the fact that it solved a few problems for me. Bless that person who gave me my first one.

Dear Lord, thank you for the way you send me answers to my problems, even before I realize some of them really are problems.

No comments: