Sunday, August 10, 2008

Using Old Materials

Sometimes I have yarn and thread lying around for a long while before it is used. I protect it as best I can. Sometimes that is not good enough.

I recently began making a lot of 12” squares with worsted weight acrylic yarns. I ran out of some yarn part way around the squares and had to make borders of different colors and yarns, using up smaller amounts I’ve had around. I also decided to use up those smaller amounts on whole squares.

I noticed that the “feel” was different in the older yarn after I got half-way through a square or two. There wasn’t any noticeable difference in color or shade or tint. But the feel was definitely a bit more scratchy. Dust? I don’t know. As I said, I thought it was protected.

I have two options. To wash the skeins before I make the items, or to make the items and gently squeeze and wash them after they are made. I’ll do the latter. It is not only easier, but I feel I can be sure it is done right and I don’t miss any part of the skein.

The point is that I have come to the time in my crafting life when I can no longer give or sell anything that is even slightly inferior. Especially if I notice a mistake, or something needing correction, before it leaves my hands.

Please, Dear Lord, continue to help me to do quality work with the skills you have blessed me with.

No comments: