Saturday, August 9, 2008

Praying for Courage in Faith

Today, once again, I was surprised at how eager and open folks are about their faith. I was attending a training session for four hours. I’m still not sure how the conversation came around to faith. I was opposite a young wife, the mother of a young son, and a fifth grade school teacher. In the midst of our break-time chat, I mentioned the book of prayers I’ve written and she mentioned she is a Christian. Neither of us worried that someone might overhear us.

I see crosses hanging on neck chains; I see decals on cars and trucks; I see so many outward displays of faith, not just the Christian faith.

There was a time when most folks kept their faith quiet, except for when they attended religious services. Today, although folks are careful to avoid controversial conversation about religion, they feel free to display their faith in many other ways.

This is a marvelous time. The Internet is a marvelous way to share our different faiths. Still, there are times when we are reluctant to speak up about what we believe. There are many ways to share our beliefs. I do not like pushy, preachy people of faith. But I do love sharing stories, and listening to, people who have that strong courage that needs no heavy push. Simple comments like, “I was praying about that this morning,” or, “Please keep me in your prayers.” These are usually enough to open the door if there is a door to open.

Please, Dear Lord, continue to fill me with the courage to share my faith when you need me to do so.

No comments: