Sunday, June 29, 2008

Senior Crafters, Junior Crafters

Young people are usually the ones who take a craft and stretch it, turn it inside out, invent new methods, new ways to use old materials, tools, and other products and projects.

Seniors are the ones who continue the traditions, the comfortable items we look to when we need to feel at home with gift choices or for personal use. I know, of course, that many, many seniors are exceptionally creative and constantly take design to the limit. But we always hope there will be a core group of experienced crafters to hold on to the customary uses for our crafts. It is a time-honored way of life.

Because of that I am always happy, as a Senior, to make the traditional patterns. I love to try new patterns, new materials, and other things, but I cannot help but enjoy the afghans, slippers, potholders, bookmarks, edgings, hats, mittens and gloves, scarves, table runners, and all the rest. In crafts, especially, we see the old become new again. Trends and styles tend to come full circle. Patterns and designs from the 30s and 40s are popular once more. I find myself looking for my DM’s pattern books and leaflets, to make the things that remind me of the comfort and security of childhood. I love that feeling.

Thank you, Lord, for giving me the chance to carry forth our traditions.

No comments: