Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Surgery update - the good, the bad, and the possibly ugly

Ok. I talked with my surgeon's nurse on the phone today.

The good

They took out both cancer nodules, which were an inch or two, at least, away from each other. They only needed one incision for that and a possible lymph node. I can remove the thick dressings Friday. If my drain continues to be "light," they might take it out late next week. The surgeon sent what she hopes is a lymph sample out for pathology. I didn't need pain meds. I wasn't dizzy or nauseous after surgery. I declined pain meds because I was sore rather than in pain. Considering they put so much into me in the space of a few hours, I had no reactions: saline via IV upon arrival, lidocaine to numb me for the two needles they inserted into the cancers followed by two wires and removal of the needles so surgeon would find right spot, radioactive dye to try to locate lymph nodes, and general anesthetic.

The bad

I'm still a little sore from all the twisting, turning and manipulation of the 2-1/2 hours of mammo tests, seemed like 30 to 40 photos. She is not sure whether the tissue sample is a lymph node. Apparently that is not always easy to identify. But if it is what we hope, they can tell us whether it has spread to the lymph system and we can try treatments.

The possibly ugly

If the tissue sample is not a lymph node, it means she cannot get one and we have no clue as to whether the cancers spread to my lymph system which can deliver it to anywhere in my body. At my age, they are reluctant to do chemo and/or radiation, and hormone therapy has its own risks.

Sweet Lord Jesus, I am taking this step by step, distracting myself from unsettling thoughts, with your help and your peace. Please continue to watch over me and my medical contacts and help me to deal with anything that comes my way. I trust in you.

No comments: