Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Soothing "Sacred Music" at the End of the Day

I've mentioned a few times about my habit of listening at night to CDs that I loaded to my hard drive.

One of my favorites is an all-instrumental pair by Jackie Gleason's orchestra. Not everyone these days remembers that he had an excellent orchestra. I love these songs, some from musicals, some romantic, and others.

The other favorite, and the last one I listen to as I'm finishing my blog or emails is a collection of 50 favorite hymns. There was a gal I worked with back in the 90s who used to call all hymns, gospel, and spiritual music "sacred" music. I hung onto her phrase. I like that. It is special, and yes, it is sacred.

Anyhow, while I am typing this, I am listening to How Great Thou Art, Were You There When They Crucified My Lord, Amazing Grace, Morning Has Broken, Abide With Me, and so many others. Among those in this collection are some I had never heard before.

There is something so soothing about ending my day on this note. Even Silkie, my 8 year old plump cat, loves to lie here near my feet and listen. When I finally shut down, my day and all its issues, if any, are all in perspective.

I shut down, and climb into bed, and do my "God Bless xxx and xxx ..." and well, you get the picture. Then I do my "Thank you for..." and I end up with so many little blessings that I gently fade into sleep with a smile on my face.

Sweet Lord Jesus, please thank the Father for me for the gift of music. And thank him especially for the gift of sacred music and that phrase from my co-worker in the past. We can make music nowhere near as glorious as that of the angels, but for us here on earth, this is heaven of a sort as it is. Thank you!

No comments: