Wednesday, March 6, 2019

An Reminder About an Old Lady's Distractions -

I had a short-lived fright this afternoon. Went to toss a laundry load into the gas dryer and when I went to set the dial, noticed it was still set from a week ago. I turned it to Off, re-set for this one, and turned it on. It went thunka-thunka-thunka. Turned it off and tried again. Another round of percussion sounds. Off again. Sat and pondered.

Obviously, the electric timer part of it thought it was still on. Normally, it usually just times out and shuts itself off. What worried me was that thunka-thunka-thunka.

So, as I do, I prayed. Very hard. Very seriously. I knew I could dry the clothes at least on a folding dryer rack that I could set in the one shower. It would take a while but it wasn't a big deal. Repairing or replacing the dryer was a big deal, though.
So I thought I'd try a re-boot first. I allowed it to rest, shut off, for almost an hour, and tried again.
It purred.

Two things here - first, I must be more aware of what I'm doing. At my age, I'm easily distracted. Let a phone ring while I'm doing something and I probably won't get back to it. Put ice cube trays out and run to the bathroom, and come back to the kitchen much, much later and find them sloshing.

Father, thank you so much for hearing my prayers so often, so worried. Thanks for this warning. You have alerted me to the fact that I must be very careful now that I am older. Our minds are so full of all of life's experiences and events that it's easy to be distracted. So, thank you again, and please keep watch over this old lady... I trust in you.

No comments: