Sunday, July 15, 2018

Thank You for the Attitude Adjustment Today

Sweet Lord Jesus, I’ve been through a lot over the past few years. Some bumps on life’s road came in bunches. Many of my friends know that routine all too well. Somehow, always, you had my back and you helped me get through everything. 

We got through months and months without running water inside this old mobile home. We got through pot after pot of rain water from the living room ceiling. We got through loan after loan for the old car’s repairs. And we got through unexpected health issues last Fall.

So I was really annoyed with myself this morning when I felt myself overwhelmed by feelings of almost self-pity. I was annoyed because it is only water under the crisper bins in my fridge. I’ve asked a guy in our community to deal with what is probably a clogged drain hose or something. But why I was feeling not up to the task is that I must replace a folded half-hand-towel under the bins and remember to remove it after roughly 24 hours with a dry one. How hard is that? 

Ok. So I must get on my knees on the floor but I do that when I brush the cat at night. We all know it’s still in my skill range for these old joints. So it shouldn’t be a big deal, especially considering all the really big deals the past few years.

I felt embarrassed worrying about it. One of my friends said that worrying is a sin. I only half agree with that because you, too, Sweet Jesus, worried at times. That night in the Garden, for instance, you even wept and asked to be let go of the coming burden.

So that is why I think you understand what happened to me today.

Looking back the past few years, I think maybe all of that stress that I thought I was coping with so well might have temporarily caught up with me. I’m fine, now, I think.

I just need a lot of help with one part of this - I need you to remind me each day to change that towel! I really am concerned that I will forget and come out in the morning or come home from an errand and find water all over my floor. Now that, I know, would be a mess I do not want to deal with if, together, we can avoid it.

So, thank you, yet again, Lord Jesus, for all your help. And please, in your compassion and mercy, help me to deal with this in fine order while I wait patiently for the repair... I trust in you.

No comments: