Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Really Good Soup in Crock Pot Overnight

We really lucked out on the produce this past week at two of the food pantries. I had a bumper crop of zucchini (about 6” long, each) and huge wonderful red onions and more. I did not want to lose those zucchini before I could eat them, before they would spoil. So yesterday, I rinsed them and counted them - I had 8.
I decided to look in the pantry and fridge and ended up with a really tasty soup made overnight in the crock pot. It’s basically zucchini but with some other fine stuff!

Ok - here’s what I tossed in there, just FYI: 4 zucchini (cut in quarters, lengthwise, then into bite-sized slices, maybe 1/2” thick), can of diced tomatoes, can of veggie broth (low sodium), can of sliced carrots, a few ribs of celery, a big fat beautiful red onion, can of black beans...

It made me so hungry when I was putting it into serving size containers for the freezer this morning that I want to use the other 4 zucchini Friday night in another soup. I’ll defrost some chicken in the fridge tonight and tomorrow and make it a zucchini/chicken/veggie soup but with different veggies, and maybe a small amount of noodles or even barley (should use up the small amount I have left of that). Oh, and yep, another one of those big beautiful red onions!

Today or tomorrow I also want to cook up some green bell peppers (another blessing) and some onions, in olive oil, and pack them to use in other dishes along the way - I do not want any of this to spoil...

Rolling along...

No comments: