Wednesday, November 22, 2017

When God Says “Go!” You’d Better Be Ready

I have rarely seen a medical process move this quickly. It has me dizzy trying to keep up with everything - forms (some online, some not), phone calls back and forth, consults, tests, tests and more tests.

The triple-exam route (manual exam, mammogram, ultrasound) was Monday. They called me Tuesday to be sure I was all right. This morning, Wednesday, their Nurse Navigator (a coordinator of events) called at 10 and had me on the phone for half an hour. 

She asked which surgery group I chose from their list and while we were on the phone, she processed the referral. She told me to call the MRI folks on Friday and the surgeon on Monday. She told me to get a blood test before the MRI exam. She said if they couldn’t schedule the MRI within 10 days, to call her right away. She marked it all to be expedited, even though some tests had not come back yet.

Less than 2 hours later, the surgeon’s office called me. I wasn’t supposed to call them until Monday. They scheduled me for a consult on Monday, way way across town. I mentioned I should have the MRI first so they could review the results and they said that in this case, they’d already seen enough for what they needed but to schedule it anyhow and cancel, if not needed.  They told me to go online tomorrow or Friday and complete the forms there to save time on Monday.

I called and scheduled a ride to and from the consult.

Meanwhile, the breast care center, where I had the triple-round of tests, called too. They sent in the order for blood work. We agreed I’d do it this weekend, quickly. So, very early Saturday morning I’ll be at the lab for the draw.

I was beginning to lose track of how many phone calls I’d had and how many I’d made by then.

This has been moving fast since I first discovered the lump around 10/15. Within 3 days, one doctor told me to see my primary care guy, who got me in within a week (unheard of) and he told me to get the mammogram, etc. and that happened within two weeks of his visit.

Father in heaven, I am thrilled to see how quickly this is all moving along. I know from experience from almost two decades ago, that cancer is quick and bad. You’ve really got your crew moving on this and I am very grateful. Please forgive my momentary lapses of focus, the times when I tell myself that this is absolutely too fast and I just can’t get it together. I know you are there for me and will help me stay focused and stable along the way. I’ll just try to rest in your capable, almighty hands and go along for the ride. I trust in you.

No comments: