Thursday, October 26, 2017

The Foodie - Hectic But Productive Days

Because of dental issues (no bottom dentures) and health matters (keeping my doctor smiling at my labs), a lot of my food is fresh. I either buy it, or use what I get from food pantries, or use what a dear couple 60 miles away brings from their garden (more like a little farm) several times a year. That means I can’t always guarantee how fresh something is or how long it will keep before spoiling. This week I needed to prep stuff from my fridge bins to make sure I don’t have to throw anything out.

Yesterday I realized I still had 5 apples in the drawer and they were likely to be spotty in the centers. I quartered them, cored them, and diced them. Tossed into the microwave with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a touch of brown sugar, for 10 minutes. Nice and soft and juice and tasty - will add to cereals the next few days. It made 5 or 6 cups.

Yogurt smoothies also were on the list yesterday. Took my 2 lb. tub plain yogurt, half a cucumber, and a can of sliced beets. My mom’s old blender does a nice job still. Made 3-1/2 peanut butter jars (enough for 7 “servings”) which will hold me a week. Froze 2 of them.

Today, I tackled the eggplant. Peeled it, cut it into 9 “sticks,” did the Shake & Bake thing in the toaster oven. I just “tested” 3 of them - had to make sure they were safe to eat! Put the others in the fridge to either pick on this weekend or have as a side with meals.

I also took the 2 ears of corn, broke them in half, and boiled them a tad. They are cooling. After I finish this, I’ll go cut the kernels down off the cobs and put that in the fridge to add to things - or I might freeze it - not sure.

Not sure I’ll get to anything else of that type today. But this weekend, no later, I must do up the 2 spaghetti squash and the 2 butternut squash. Then I’m caught up with anything truly perishable.

One of these days, I really really must defrost that poor old upright freezer to show it how much I love it and need it!

No comments: