Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Working With Super Bulky Yarn

When we work on scarves for the local homeless, we try to stick to 8” to 10” wide, and about 48” long. That seems to be a good length for possible wrapping back around the neck and to the front at least once, or up over the head and down over the ears in strong winds, yet not be awkward when toting everything you’ve got in a cart or duffle.

These past few days, I’ve been cutting my charity crafting yarn stash by using the heaviest weight first. I’ve been on a roll with crocheting with super bulky weight (#6).

For this weight and these scarves, I use an N hook and make these a scant 8” across. The super bulky needs a simple stitch, usually a double crochet which is loose. If I make these too wide, or too complicated, they get extremely heavy and bulky and not as good out there on the street for manipulation several ways.

Finished a few this week. Might be down to the plain ol’ bulky by the weekend...will post some pics this weekend if I remember to take them.

Had to bring some balls/skeins into the living room and haul out my cheap little food scale - it’s the best I’ve found for quick weighing my partial skeins/balls. Whatever works, right?

No comments: