Tuesday, September 19, 2017

I Just Realized Something About Myself Tonight

The newscasts have been reminding folks a lot lately about getting flu shots for the season. They always mention that it is especially important if a person is sick, very young, or elderly. I just realized that by “elderly,” they might just be referring to yours truly.

Me? Elderly? How did that happen?

See, I know I am now 78, but that doesn’t seem to register or help me relate to the word “elderly.” I can easily call myself a “senior citizen” because that makes me sound far wiser than I am. But “elderly” sounds so, well, old.” I don’t mind being referred to as an “elder” citizen. That, too, makes me sound far wiser than I am.

The only time I feel old is when I feel frightened about something that never frightened me when I was younger. Those of us who have always been the strong one for others can easily relate. If you’ve always been the one folks counted on, it bothers you to realize you now might need to count on others.

But, all in all, “elderly”?  Really, now...

No comments: