Friday, March 3, 2017

Good News - Silkie Lost Some Weight Already!

Silkie actually lost a pound already!  We had to go to the Vet for a post-op visit today. Usually I have no trouble grabbing her and lowering her into the upright carrier. This time, however, she noticed me when I turned the carrier on its end and she went behind a big ol' chair. Had to coax her out with 3 pieces of her diet kibble. She's not happy with me but hey, a mommy must use tough love at times.

Anyhow, she lost a WHOLE pound - to me, that is great for just 2-1/2 weeks! I'd be thrilled with a pound a month for her. She’s 8 pounds over the weight she was when we first brought her home from the shelter in January of ’13.

The Vet was happy that she is eating the diet kibble and slurping the great cat sauces I found and that she is beginning to want to play and that she is soft.

Happy, happy vet visit - for a change -

This Hill’s Prescription r/d (reduced diet) kibble is great. She loved it at first bite. And since she’s been on that, totally, and no Temptations or canned food, her fur is back to its soft, silky texture. 

To get liquid in her (she’s not big on water), I found some sauce/broth pouches at Petsmart. It’s their own brand, Simply Nourish. They are called Accents. They have 5 or 6 flavors, but I’m sticking to 3 that are the lowest calories. There are very few solids or shreds in these; almost totally liquid. I shake the pouch a little, tear it open, and dump it. I fill it 3/4 with water, and add that to the pouch contents, and stir. Then I just give her a medicine cup (about 4 tsp) at a time in a bowl. She loves it. It was the only way I could some drops of the antibiotics in her.

As for the Vet, same time, next month, just to be sure, and to check her weight. Can’t wait.

Now I suppose it’s time for cat-mommy to follow cat’s example and try to go down a few more, myself.

No comments: