Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Wonder-filled Twenty Minutes

I was always a sci-fi fan, more so when I was younger. Even today, I am a Trekkie. I love stories about shapeshifters. Tonight I saw a grand display of shapeshifting.

Around 7:30 p.m., I went out to my driveway and pulled a little stool to the street end, placed it against my car's rear bumper, and stretched one arm along the bumper. I enjoy looking at the display of clouds. My cat came out and stretched out on the driveway nearby.

At that time of evening, here in Vegas, usually between 7:30 and 8:30 p.m., skywatchers are treated to a lazy string of helicopters headed home from their tourist tours. If I'm not mistaken, I think they are tours of the Grand Canyon. When I first moved here in '01, Jane and I used to sit on the front porch and watch them. Back then, we were lucky to see six or 10. These days, it is not unusual to see 20 to 25. They aren't spaced at precise intervals but they never tailgate (or should that be ruddergate?) each other. Nice and easy. I get a kick out of counting them.

Then I saw this bumpy cloud bank.

When I first saw it, it was definitely the head and shoulders of a rooster, then it shifted to a hen, and then to a duck. From the duck it became almost a seahorse but quickly became a bleating lamb, mouth open, and then to a cow's head, lifted to moo.

I was totally fascinated at this point. The bank of clouds moved so slowly it didn't seem to move at all. I was gauging the distance between two tall palm.

When I glanced next, it was a dog's head. At first I thought it was a Schnauzer but decided it was more boxy, like a Scottish Terrier. That shifted into a three-quarter back view of a reclining cat, little ears pointed upward, and then into - nothing! 

I wasn't exactly disappointed, but maybe, in a little way, I might have been. I was so delighted with this show, so quiet, so varied, so artistic, and so "free!"

Considering my past few days, it was a really nice, peaceful and soothing gift from above...

No comments: