Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Crockpot Heaven



A week ago, I had fun doing a Slow CookerApple Spice Cake. It is essentially a "dump cake." I changed it a bit by adding some things - dried cranberries and chopped walnuts and cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. It turned out fine for my taste. I think of its texture more as an Apple Crumble or Apple Bread pudding - I dished it into almost 2 dozen paper muffin cups and froze them. They are the perfect size for emergency "sweet tooth" sessions. And the house smelled delicious along the way!

After that, I made a crock pot of green lentils and a meaty ham bone, portioned that out and froze it.

Over the weekend, I took care of some big fat sweet potatoes I ended up with. Trolling the web, I learned that all I needed to do was wash them and toss them in the pot. They have enough moisture on their own so I didn't add water. After a few hours, they were done. When they cooled, I took each fat treat, cut it at its waist, and scooped or pushed out the pulp into small containers. I now have a dozen "mashed sweets" ready to dress in whatever way I want when I grab one. 

Tonight, I've just finished putting together a crock pot of pea soup with another meaty ham bone. I will smell its delicious aroma while I am sleeping and in the morning, I'll divide it and label it.

I hope to do a few more things the next week or so: more chili (I use ground turkey), a 3-bean meatless pot that I will divide and use for sides, and more.

For me, especially at this time of my life, I love, love, love a crock pot. One pot to wash - and lots of food in the freezer, on the cheap. How great is that?

2 comments:

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Sounds good.

Evelyn Mayfield said...

Thanks, my friend, but they don't sound half as delish as your Blue Apron meals (lol). Still, considering I have to buy sale items and cook very cheap, I have fun meeting the challenge. Apparently Windows 10 lets you make some blogspot comments - I'm glad I'm one of them. Hugs.