Saturday, May 2, 2015

I Was Such a Good Girl Today

A few days ago, I was advised by our senior mobile home park manager that I needed to clear the stuff off my back driveway. A lot of it was there in anticipation of our Spring park wide yard sale. I didn’t end up participating because I was tied up with running back and forth with smog control issues with the car. So I wasn’t surprised. However, it is a lot of work. 

I decided to tackle it on about a week’s worth of mornings. The first one I scheduled for today. I wanted to rearrange my 10x12 shed so I’d have a sensible place to take the things from the driveway. 

I did just fine with the shed this morning. I worked out there from 7:30 to about 9 a.m. and I got done what I needed to get done. I now have a section for the October yard sale, a section for Christmas, one for household stuff, and one for crafts. I must go through (later) the Christmas and craft boxes. But I have plenty of room for the stuff from the driveway – I will start tackling that Monday morning. I’ll either hold the things for the Fall yard sale. Or, I’ll call for a local charity for pickup. Or, I’ll offer it on Freecycle. 

No matter how I work it, I am looking forward to a somewhat decent back-drive sitting area at the end. That will be so nice in the hot Vegas weather, mornings and evenings.

There was some concern, on my part, that I would be pretty sore afterwards. It’s true that I feel better, more limber, and have less arthritis pain, than a year ago. Most of you know the changes I had to make in my life. But I also have to admit that I am working with 75-year-old bones and joints, not 35-year-old ones. So I was sensible.

In fact, I even went around the back and rear-sides of my mobile and pulled some weeds that were coming from where the skirting meets the ground. I filled half a kitchen trashie with those.There were a few that looked like young trees (sigh), so I snapped off the biggest pieces. Then I went in and poured some vinegar from my gallon jug into squirt bottles and squirted that into the roots of those big puppies. I’ll see how they look on Monday. Might need a second dose.

Then I noticed one skirting panel was knocked down and I had about an 18-inch hole going under the home. I have a hard time handling that old skirting on my own. Most of it is bent and doesn’t meet all the other pieces without a lot of grief. I just took my time and finally got it tucked up under the top of the skirting trim and into the groove at the bottom. I don’t know how long it will hold up, but for now, it’s good.

Happily, I didn’t even need a pain pill before or after. A shower took the worst of the kinks out and left me in reasonably good shape.

I treated myself for being such a good girl with a nice healthy snack around 1 and watched 3 hours of the Derby action on TV. My non-contract indoor-antenna analog TV even cooperated and brought in NBC ever so nicely for me. 

Yep – all in all, a good day.

No comments: