Saturday, April 18, 2015

I Think I Had An Unproductive Day



This is one of those days that, when all is said and done, I don’t feel I accomplished anything of real worth.

I’m uncomfortable with this type of day. I have many, many projects on my plate. Some are for charity or on a volunteer basis; some are ways to help neighbors and friends; some are my handmade items for my Etsy shop (hoping to amp up my income); and some are for the Lord’s work.

It’s not like I just sat around all day. I did accompany a dear friend in my mobile home community who is newly on a portable oxygen tank and walker. She is older than I am and her double pneumonia really did a job on her lungs in January. She is adapting but there are some stores or places she needs to get to, places I know are hard her to navigate or are long walks inside the facility, places where I like to accompany her to be sure she’s okay. I did one of those minor trips with her today – just an hour. That didn’t take up any of my full day’s allotment of productive hours.

Neither did breakfast, lunch or dinner. 

At one point, a neighbor had me go across to his home. He just got a new sofa and loveseat and wanted to show me his old one, to see if I wanted it or if I knew someone who could use it – free. It’s very nice. Not for me, though. I need a fabric covered sofa – that way I can spray a repellent on it to keep kitty from scratching. The free set is barely used – black (either vinyl or leather) and with those puffy arms and pillowy backs. I came home and sent out a bunch of emails and made a few calls to let folks know. Again, nothing of real importance and barely an hour used up.

I did manage to finish two hanging-towels I  made as thank-you’s for a friend who did me a favor – all except for the buttons. But again, barely two hours here.

Underneath this concern over an unproductive day is the fact that once again, I am trying to avoid feeling fearful about my last two bills of the moth. Each time I think I can make it, something comes up. This time it was the smog check and the issues and repairs and the registration. I managed to get that done and I am so, so grateful for that.

Well, the day is almost done now and going over it now, like I just did, still doesn’t show me that I’ve done anything of worth.

Father, I am not your most productive or useful child. Help me to do better tomorrow. I pray for guidance so that I might accomplish what you need of me – I realize you have things you hope each of us do each day. I pray for help to better meet those needs tomorrow.    

No comments: