Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Cancelling my Yard Sale this Weekend



For the first time since I moved to this senior mobile home community back in February ’01, 14 years ago, I have decided to NOT have a yard sale this Spring. We have a community park-wide yard sale event in the Spring and Fall of every year. 

Last year was very hard in the Spring. My middle aged nephew had just died at age 58 and now that I am older (75 now), I hadn’t realized how much of the labor he had helped me with, not to mention other details. I finally wised up and used a dolly to move heavy cartons back and forth on the driveway. 

This year, however, every time I get ready to go through the house to gather up stuff to put outside, something comes up to stop me. 

Today’s fiasco with my smog check is a prime example. The sale is this coming weekend. I finally decided that the Lord is telling me that I should no longer stress out trying to prepare for, and manage, a weekend yard sale. Fourteen years, twice a year, is enough. 

I will, instead, start to concentrate more on my Etsy online shop and on other ways to bring in some extra cash. 

Whatever I was planning to put out, I can either donate it to various organizations, or in some cases, put small free personal ads in our mobile home park monthly newsletter.

Times change, and I need to look at today’s reality, not one from ten years or more ago. I feel a big pressure lifted already.  

2 comments:

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Yep...I agree, we can sometimes put too much on our plate. God didn't mean for us to be so busy that we stress out.

Evelyn Mayfield said...

Thank you so much for confirming what I've been thinking - when God gives me a hint, I'm really dense. He almost has to pound me on the head with a hammer for me to get it (sigh). But I think my decision, at least for this sale, makes sense. If I choose to have one at the October sale, I have a nice, easy stretch of time to gather and "ready" things...Thank you, my friend.