Thursday, January 1, 2015

Why I Think I’m Ready for the New Year Ahead of Me



I can’t believe it’s 2015 already. Everyone I know asks the same question - where does the time go? Sometimes it seems like I’m tearing pages off the calendars before I can even see the pictures on them.

I don’t know one person who doesn’t look back at the past year and find a moment of sadness or trouble. But I know so many folks who have not allowed that to ruin their lives. That is a blessing. When bad things happen, I have found it not only possible, but practical and even crucial for me to take a deep breath as soon as I can afterwards and ask myself, “Okay - it’s done. There’s nothing I can do to change it. So, what’s my next step?” 

I had to do that early last year when I lost my beloved nephew and faced many, many months of financial stress. I had to go on. First of all, I know he would have wanted that. He would very definitely not have wanted me to bury myself in depression and grief. He would have hated it if I had done that. It is difficult - and I know quite a few folks and a few families, all across the country, in my circle of friends and loved ones, who know how hard it is. But I cannot help anyone else if I am a mess myself.

My own personality is such that I cannot help wanting to help others. For a long while, that couldn’t include doing it financially. But I did my best to do that in other ways.

I am so grateful that I had our senior mobile home park monthly newsletter to write and publish - even though it is voluntary, that monthly deadline made sure I stayed on my mental toes. 

I am so grateful for the charity crafting group I oversee and began back in 2009. Meeting those gals every Friday, making things with our hands for the local needy, and finding places to distribute them, these tasks also made sure I kept my head on straight.

Yes, there were times when my car was so “iffy” that I was afraid to even take it a mile away. Yes, there were other issues.

And because I did not have funds, whenever I wanted to thank someone, or give a gift, I needed to make it. For that, I thank the Lord for the fingers and skills he blessed me with.

But you know what? It all worked out. Between the things I just mentioned, and trying to keep my Etsy shop alive, I made it. And I’m glad. Because here I am, looking forward to another year, a brand new one. 

I’m ready for it. 

No comments: