Saturday, January 10, 2015

I’ve got a Weird Cat




This current cat, my plus-size 3-1/2-year-old calico, is my first shelter pet. But she’s still a kitty, and I’ve had quite of few of those in my 75 years on this earth. 

This one, however, has some weird habits. One has surfaced within the past few months. 

To be fair, she probably thinks that I’m the weird one. She is almost certainly thinking I am almost too stupid to train but she does keep at it.

For the two years that I’ve had her, she’d keep butting my hand when I was petting her. So I’d keep petting her. That’s what all my other cats meant when they did that - “Keep it up - don’t stop!” That was the message they gave me. I learned it well.

But, one day about a month ago, while she was lying flat up and down on my belly and chest, she head-butted my hand again. And, again, I continued to pet her. But this time, for some odd reason, my hand stayed cupped for a split second, and she tucked her head into that cupped palm and held it there, snuggled into my palm. She purred and nudged but stayed. 

I finally got the message. That’s what she wanted all the time.

The only thing I can figure, as to the reason, is that she feels like she did as a kitten, snuggled up against momma’s belly while nursing. 

She is a patient teacher, and I finally got the message. She is so proud of me now. I can tell, because she just loves tucking her head into the cupped palm of my hand. 

I can’t help it - I still think it’s weird but I don’t dare tell her that because she is so proud that I finally learned what she’s been trying to teach me for almost two years.  

No comments: