Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Frustrated Over Yarn Inconsistency



There was a time when I could buy a specific brand of yarn and be sure that the texture and thickness would be consistent throughout, no matter what color it was. Most crafters who work with yarn and who are financially-challenged rely on Red Heart. Lately, though, the consistency is unreliable regarding thickness.

I used to be able to pull out a pattern - say, for crocheted adult slippers. I’d buy the yarn in the colors I wanted or needed. I’d refer to the pattern or my notes added to the pattern, regarding how many stitches and rows for a certain size. I’d pull out the hook and I’d end up with what I’d ended up with throughout the years.

Now, however, I have no faith in what I am working on. I can make an entire pair, using the same number of stitches and rows as I have for many years, for, say, a woman’s size 8. But it will not BE a woman’s size 8 when I finish. It might be up to an inch different - shorter, longer, whatever.

This is because the dye used for the various colors changes the thickness of the yarn. That means the gauge is off. For example, navy might be thicker and coarser than royal; or burgundy might be softer and thinner than cherry red. 

I cannot afford to consistently buy brands like Caron. So, I guess I must go back to my beginner days of crocheting and make a swatch for every single item I begin to process. It’s the only way to avoid wasted effort for now.

My mom brought me up on Red Heart. She would be mumbling to herself these days, every time she picked up her hook and yarn - just like I am doing now. Grrrrrrrrrrr!
 

No comments: