Sunday, January 25, 2015

Am I The Only Strange One? About Christmas...



I think most folks would think I am very strange. I hate to let go of the Christmas season and its joy. 

For example, right now, at 8:30 at night, writing this post and starting the shut-down routine for the night (brush the cat, feed the cat, denture duty, write notes for tomorrow, etc.), I have a CD in the PC tower playing a set of Christmas songs by Country Stars. And, please don’t tell anyone, I am singing along with them. “Joy to the world...mmm...mmm...”

I don’t think I’m totally alone, though.

I do remember someone in my past (and now it will torment until I remember who she was) who deliberately had an artificial tree set up, ornaments, lights and all, and a mantle, and a nativity, all set up (are you ready for this?) in a closet. This way, she told me, whenever she felt “low,” all she had to do was open that closet and get an instant “joy” fix.

I’m not quite that bad. But I do admit to having one small nativity always in my line of vision in the living room on the top of the desk, among the other fave items displayed up there. It’s one of those little all-one-piece models, smaller than a cigar box. Now, don’t tell me I’m so old that I’m the only one who remembers how big a cigar box is.

So, for now, I will keep writing, and checking my email, and finishing up my monthly edition of our senior mobile home community newsletter, and humming and singing (“...the stars are brightly shining. It is the night of our dear Savior’s birth...mmmm....mmmm").



Lord Jesus, thank you for coming here and taking on human form. I don’t want to ever forget that you understand so well what our humanity means, our troubles but also our joys. And joyful music and joyful celebrations (like celebrating your birth at Christmas) are some of the most pleasant of human pleasures.    

No comments: