Tuesday, December 2, 2014

1st Cataract Procedure Tomorrow



They finally called me around 5 p.m. yesterday with my surgery time. It’s Noon tomorrow. At first I hated the idea - I’m a “very early” morning person. Then I began to realize the pro’s in this choice.

Yes, it does mean my surgeon might be a little tired from having already done a few by then - they begin at 6:30 a.m. over there. But it means she doesn’t consider me the “riskiest” of the procedures. They had told me that they usually do the diabetics first and the at-risk patients next. So if I’m that late in the morning, then it’s not a bad thing.

Also, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that if the risk-factor of losing my sight was really high, she probably would have discussed it a little more in depth. One or two friends have meant well and immediately related stories of their friends who have lived with sight in just one eye for many years, and of course, I already knew about my one neighbor and my nephew. But it’s not “their” eyes - and when we think about our own eyes, we tend to get a bit more possessive and protective. But I have finally relaxed on that matter - I just hate the thought of having to rush over there the following morning for a surgical “fix” if something happens but what will be, will be.

Tomorrow, my friend will pick me up around 11:15 and I hope to be home between 4 and 5, hungry as a she-bear just out of hibernation. Fasting from 4 a.m. forward, during my most alert and active hours will do that to me. So if you hear growling and snarling around 5 p.m., it’s only me catching up on my food.

Yesterday, I made sure I did all the “heavy” marketing - two 3-gallon jugs of water, a 14-lb bag of litter, two 24-packs of cat food, things like that. And I’m all set to go.

All of that rambling now said, the next time I see my friends, they will probably look even MORE wonderful than ever!!!

I can’t wait, in a way - I told myself early this year that this surgery was my Christmas present to myself...
  

No comments: