Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thinking About What Giving Means



Today, when many charities are feeding folks and many groups are giving of themselves, I am thinking of the many ways of giving.

I have friends who suffered horrible tragedies this year and yet have helped others along the way. I know folks of modest means and instead of throwing out items they no longer need, they donate them, or pass them along to friends who can use them. I rarely have extra cash to give, but I try to give of myself in other ways and I know many who do the same.

Some of those charities I mentioned make a fuss of a one day “feed” but the homeless suffer every day, not just on Thanksgiving. So when my charity crafting group passes along the hats, scarves and gloves we make for one group to distribute, directly, to those people, all year long, we are trying in our own small way.

This is not just a puffed up “I did my duty” and “look at what I just did for the poor” thing. It is helping in a consistent, tangible way, where it counts most for individuals. I love charities who don’t just make a splash on one day of the year, but who provide in many ways throughout the year, day after difficult, challenging day.

We each have a special way we can help. 

Maybe it’s calling someone who is alone or lonely (there is a difference) and just letting them ramble on, letting them vent, for a little while.

One of my friends sets aside one day a week so that she can take a widow to several stores. The widow has no car, and treasures the few hours of grocery shopping and visits to places like thrift stores, Walmart and even Home Depot for furnace filters - whatever is needed. 

If we have the funds, maybe it’s a one-time boost to get someone over a high bump on life’s road. Often, it just takes that one bit of help to make all the difference - it can keep that person from being crushed under the fallen tree of life's unexpected circumstances and instead, help them to crawl up and over it and make their way to safety.

One of my current guilty pleasures is enjoying the home-recorded VHS tapes brought to me by two different friends who know I no longer have contract TV - these Jeopardy, CSI, NCIS (all 3), and other shows mean a lot. They help, until I can get my outdoor antenna.

Maybe it’s sending a silly, funny, cute email to a friend who just needs a smile that day.

I have a friend who still sends hand-signed greeting cards and she hand-writes a brief note in each one - it is so nice to receive one of those. Her friends treasure these.

No matter what it is, giving is an individual effort and can take many forms. It doesn’t have to be much - it just needs to be heartfelt - the heart that receives it will feel it - deeply.

Lord Jesus, thank you for blessing me (as well as those I know) with a love for others. Please continue to bless us with the knowledge of how we help anyone in need while we journey through life here on earth.    

No comments: