Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Blessings Are Where You Look for Them



Tonight I took a trip through all my Christmas season posts since I began them back in 2008. 

One caught my eye. When I wrote it, I was thinking about how blessed we are compared to a little family over 2,000 years ago. I decided to copy, paste and re-post that one, here, because it is still appropriate and still helps me keep it all in perspective. At the time I wrote it, a dear friend was deathly ill and passed on a few months later. However, it applies to anyone who is dealing with troubles during this normally cheerful season. 

Originally, it was posted 12/24/08. I hope it helps you, too, look at things differently this season.

=====

Christmas is about the birth of Christ and all the hope it brought to the world. I am holding on to that hope during this troubled time of dealing with a dear friend’s health issues. My life might be difficult right now, but on Christmas, I’ve taken to thinking about that little family over 2,000 years ago.

Mary, so far from home, birthing a child alone after a long and difficult journey on a donkey. Shortly after, Joseph is told to take his family and flee. They went to a strange land, had to pick up the pieces of their lives, start over. Probably had to learn a new language. Joseph had to re-start his carpentry business; Mary lost contact with her friends and family and had to raise Jesus away from all of them. Add to that, at the time of the flight, the fear of death for their child.

Whatever my troubles this night, they cannot even begin to compare with all of that. It sure puts things into perspective.

Thank you, Dear Lord, for all you have blessed me with; help me to be able to see those blessings and appreciate them.   

No comments: