Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Prayer to Win a Prize



After I finished my self-published Busy Person’s Prayer Book a few years ago, I stopped writing the little prayers because I felt I had written one for any of life’s issues that I ran into in my daily life.

However, my recent financial troubles have nagged at me and I keep trying various ways to raise revenue.

One of those ways isn’t a “way,” but rather a form of entertainment. Every Friday, I take $12 or $14  and play Bingo with a friend/neighbor. It gives me the only hour of the week when I am not actively thinking about what I can do to help my situation.

Also, many years ago, I entered a lot of sweepstakes. I even wrote my own how-to pamphlet on how to raise your chances of winning. Back then, most of us had to enter by snail mail, and I actually won lots of stuff - beach towels, little counter-high fridge, radios, lots of “stuff.” About two months ago, I realize that these days, a site like
SweepstakesToday.com lists all the current sweeps open and I’m already paying for the internet, so why not enter those instead of wasting time on games. At least there is always the chance of winning something I need.

Anyhow, tonight, I finally polished the words for a prayer to win a prize...I know I should hold it for the next version of my book, but shoot, that could be a long time coming. So, here it is - but you must realize the reason I wrote it. 

The way I figure it, God has given us lots of resources. Free prizes in sweeps are one great resource and they only take time and patience. Bingo and lotteries, if played responsibly and with moderation and planning, are another resource. But even then, I want the Lord to know that I will appreciate anything he sends to me this way, and that I will need his help in handling the blessing wisely, even if it’s just a box of Mrs. Fields mini-cookies (won them early in June).

To Win a Prize
I’d really like to win this prize
But someone else might need it, too
If you should bless me with this gift
For its wise use, I’ll come to you.

By the way, I’m almost ready with a 99-cent downloadable version of the book. Can’t wait to see how it’s received.
  

No comments: