Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Rediscovering Childhood Verse - Eugene Field



One of Jeopardy’s categories tonight involved many childhood rhymes. I remember the words to most of them, but wanted to refresh myself on a line or two. The ones that bugged me were The Duel (The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat) and The Owl and the Pussycat. I could remember most of them but not all. Off to Google-land I went.

In Google-land, I rediscovered one of my childhood loves - the verses of Eugene Field. I had forgotten several of them. Here is a link - young mothers and fathers owe it to themselves to check them out for their little ones - they are magic, truly. Because even now, I’m transported to a land of dreams and delights, of sadness and of joy, and more.

“Little Boy Blue” still makes me cry. “Jest Fore Christmas” still makes me smile. “Wynken, Blynken and Nod” still makes me dreamier than Rock-a-Bye Baby. And the fantasy fight of “The Duel” (Gingham Dog and Calico Cat) still fascinates me.

The man had a way with words, a magical way - and his magic still holds.    

No comments: