Sunday, November 10, 2013

Free Prayer Sunday - Patience with the Young and Old



Whether we are dealing with those younger than us, or with those older than us, we often need a lot of patience. 

I'm already 74, but there are quite a few folks older than I am in my senior mobile home community. Many are dealing with medical, emotional, family and financial issues and seem difficult at times. I'm sure many feel the same about me.

As for the opposite end of the age range, as I grow older, it seems the younger generation is getting away with more than I did.  However, when I think back to how I felt and what I did when I was eight, or sixteen, or twenty, I realize that I felt much like they do now.  I also need to realize that I will grow older than I am now, and I will want folks around me to understand my limits and my feelings. 

I wrote this prayer to help me keep things in perspective, both with youngsters and with oldsters.

I'm marching through my self-published Busy Person's Prayer Book, front to back. This prayer is from the category, Helping Others. Earlier, I posted 4 prayers from the Work category (about jobs, layoffs, etc.).

Patience with the Young and Old
Help me recall what it’s like to be young
And the way I wanted adults to treat me.
Help me look ahead to when I am old
And the way I should treat the elderly.

Please do not pass it around without giving credit to the author (me) and where it was published - a line like this will do: by Evelyn Mayfield, in the Busy  Person's Prayer Book.
In the following weeks, we'll post more prayers in this category, including these:

Handcrafter’s Prayer
Concern About a Pet
When I’ve Promised to Pray for Someone
For the Terminally Ill

At the top of this page, simply click on Free Prayers what we've posted so far, or scroll down the right sidebar and click on that tag.
 

No comments: