Saturday, April 13, 2013

Free Crochet Patterns Coming Next Week


Back in February (If I Can Do It, Why Not You), I promised myself (and you) that I’d do a new pattern a month. In February, I posted 2 different project edgings (Short Rib and Blanket Stitch). That took care of January and February.

This coming week, after I get a chance to take the photo(s) and type up the instructions, I’ll be posting an easy ribbed pattern for hats for preemies and newborns (March) and a cute little mini-pincushion (April). Neither one is very special but they are quick and easy and they do satisfy a need I had for something specific.

The preemie hat is something I’ve wanted to do for a year or so for our Friday morning charity crafting projects. There are some great preemie patterns out there, all free. But preemies have some issues and I really wanted something with give and flexibility – something that would not irritate the delicate skin of these little ones. I also needed something easily adaptable whether I used fingering, sport or worsted weight yarn. Down the line, I plan to adapt it (and share it with you) for toddlers/kids, teens, and adults.

And the mini-pincushion is because I mostly crochet (and sometimes do plastic canvas work). I only use yarn needles or those large embroidery (size 16 or 18) type needles. This is for hiding and securing tail-ends of yarn after a project is done. All of the pincushions I’ve seen and/or made are so tall that I often lose my needles inside them. Those taller ones are great if you sew and have pins with heads on them. But I needed a low-to-the-tabletop thingie where I can push those needles all the way down and still not lose them.

Can’t wait to share these with you.

No comments: