Sunday, June 17, 2012

Crochet - Fulfillment in a Simple Hook


It has been a long time since I posted about my fave craft - crochet. I don't know why I have let that slip. I love crocheting more than anything else. I do a little plastic canvas now and then. I do NOT knit - put two sticks in my hands and everything comes out lumpy. I do not embroider. Put a needle with floss into my hand and I make the material bunch up by pulling too hard. However, a crochet hook fits so nicely in my hand and I love it.

There is rarely a day that goes by when I do not crochet a few stitches at least. My projects vary. Our Friday morning Charity Crafters meeting is for two hours and I'm always crocheting over in our Clubhouse at that time. I often work on the charity projects during the week as well. We each tend to pick our fave patterns and stick to them. It makes the work quick and easy and our projects quickly accumulate.

At my age, I also tend to stick to my faves simply because I am familiar with them. It's not that I mind trying something new. But at 72, there's not a whole lot that I haven't already seen or done. So for me to try something new in crochet, it has to really capture my interest. This can mean a new yarn or thread, or a new pattern, or any of a number of things.

Because I stick to my faves, they are now somewhat automatic. I often can watch TV, crochet, and listen for the washer to go into spin or for the timer to go off on my side-table, telling me to turn something over on the stove or add something to a pan or whatever. I have tried to crochet while holding the phone on my shoulder but the phone slides off, so I gave up on that. And, no, I do not feel it is important enough to get an ear-set or whatever. At home, I use my land-line solely.

Anyhow, I love to crochet. It soothes me; it comforts me; and, after I have finished a project, it fulfills me.

No comments: