Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Beverage Cozy Time is Here - Already!

Wow, it's almost a month since my last Etsy post. I am really slipping. I came here to write this one tonight to remind myself to get busy and crochet some more sets of my beverage cozies for my Etsy shop. This time of year, with the HHH (Hazy, Hot and Humid) days all across the country, they are usually in demand. I can't believe it is full-blown summer already.
I can easily make them to suit anyone's color choice, but folks often buy right from what I stock in my shop. For that reason, I try to have at least a dozen different sets in my shop, ready and available.

The pattern I use is one I adapted from a friend's pattern a few years ago. I really love these cotton worsted cozies. Cotton, you see, quickly absorbs moisture and keeps the hands, container, and surface dry. The ones I make easily fit any 12 or 16 oz beverage can (soda, beer, etc.) and they even fit a 1 liter bottle.

I just found out about the 1 liter bottles this week. Out here in Vegas, we hit triple digit temps throughout the summer. It is very normal to have overnight temps remain between 85 and 90. We get dry and thirsty. I like to save and wash various drink bottles, fill them half full and freeze them. At bedtime, I grab one of these from the freezer, fill to the top with water, and it stays cool all night long to sip on as needed. This week, I happened to recycle a 1 liter flavored sparkling water bottle for this purpose and my cozies fit very well.

Anyone holding a cold drink in the summer understands how quickly they become un-cool. The cozies keep them chilled longer while also preventing "sweating." This helps avoid condensation puddles on tables and other surfaces.

Anyhow, I have a small stash of cotton worsted and I must dig into that this week and get busy. It's BBQ time and these are great for outdoor get-togethers as well as for indoor family use.

Some folks like a different color for every member of the family so everyone knows which drink is which immediately.

Some folks also like to let their guests take them home after a get-together, as a sort of party favor.

For anyone who is into crocheting, the free pattern is here on my blog site, at this link. For anyone who is NOT into crocheting, well, you know where you can find them - right in my shop.  

No comments: