Friday, May 18, 2012

DIY - Emergency Candle Out of Crisco


I had to share this little home tip with all of you. I couldn't really put it under my Craft heading because it's more of a household tip. I found this in one of my daily CraftGossip emails.

I know that no matter where you live in the country, you can have a power outage and lose your lights. This can happen because of lightning, or a windstorm that downs wires, or a snowstorm, or even excessive electrical usage because of summer heat and air conditioners. No matter what the reason, when this happens, we all race around for flashlights, battery operated lanterns, and all the candles we can find. This is one solution and a cheap and easy one. Bless whoever decided to share this.

The post I found is at LifeHacker at this link, posted by Whitson Gordon, and the photo is by Amy Stephenson.

Be sure to read the comments below the post for more hints on the topic. Also, click on the links in the post for even more tips. Some cynical folks apparently commented that all anyone has to do is run out and buy candles. To me, this tip is a real find. Sometimes you just can't run out and sometimes an emergency just catches you off guard and unprepared. As Gordon says in his post, it can't get "any simpler" (and I might add, cheaper) than this. Save this one!

Oh, and at one of the links in the post, way down on the page, I found a really cute "heater" made from a candle, using clay flower pots and the little trays beneath them.

Some comments pointed out that Crisco is made from vegetable products and not animal fat (as in lard), so there is no adverse odor to worry about.   

No comments: