Friday, December 9, 2011

When We Can't Afford Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh


I posted a few nights ago about the first Christmas gifts and how I might be able to use them as examples for my gift giving this season. It dawned on me that I cannot possibly repeat the gifts of the wise men. How on earth could I afford anything close to the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh?

In that post, I mentioned that these gifts funded the journey of the little family when they had to re-start their lives in a new country to escape the violence of Herod. That gave me some ideas. I already mentioned that I could compare it to donating to charitable groups. Those groups help the needy with transportation and with their efforts in re-starting their lives.

Charity, then, is a wonderful way to follow the example of the Magi.

Even though I do not have money to donate to charities this time of year, or anytime, for that matter, there are other ways I can help.

My charity crafting group on Friday mornings crochets and knits things for the needy. We make hats, gloves and scarves for the homeless. We make shawls and lap throws for those in long-term care. And we make preemie hats and blankies for a local hospital.

If I couldn't make those things, there would be other options. Charities need lots and lots of volunteers this time of year. Bell ringing at kettles outside of stores is one possibility. Helping at a soup kitchen or helping to pack baskets or bags of food for distribution is another.

I might not have the riches of the wise men to give, but I can give from what I do have.

Lord Jesus, please guide me this season in knowing how I might best be of help to others on their journey through life.

2 comments:

Gold Frankincense and Myrrh said...

One thing about Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh is that all 3 are found in Oman, indeed the Omani Frankincense Tree is 'Boswellia Sacra' the Sacred Frankincense as this was the type that dominated the Roman Frankincense Trade so was probably the one presented to Jesus

Evelyn Mayfield said...

Thank you so much for that interesting info...that is definitely something I never knew until you shared it with us.