Thursday, December 8, 2011

Spiritual Visitations

Over the past few days, I've been writing and thinking a lot about the first Christmas gifts: the singing of the angelic choir, the visitation of the shepherds, and the magnificent gifts of the Magi.

In that first post, I mentioned how I thought I might be able to follow those examples. Tonight I have been thinking about the visit from the shepherds. Following their example, I could visit someone who is lonely. Or I could call someone who needs to hear another voice.

Sometimes, however, time is really a problem for me. My heart might want to do those things, but my commitments seem to take up all my time. Still, the shepherds seemed to have been able to make time from their work with their sheep to visit the Christ child.

I've been trying to think of another way to visit those who need that type of help when an in-person visit or a phone call is not possible.

I've been thinking I might try each night when I say my bedtime prayers, to make a spiritual visit to a different person each night.

It's true they will never know of that visit. Still, I could focus on one person or one family or household each night, praying for their general and spiritual well being. It cannot hurt. I do not know of a single human being who could not benefit from someone's prayers for their needs. I can start tonight. You know, this might be really good. Putting that one person or household in my heart for a while each night will help me focus on them. That, in turn, might also help me figure out a way to help them in more tangible ways.

Dear Jesus, please fill my mind with all the ways I can help others this time of year, and all the years to come.

No comments: