Sunday, December 4, 2011

Listening and Loving

Back on December 1st, I promised the Christ child I would post each day until his birthday about something I could do to remind myself that this is a loving and giving season.

When I began to write tonight, I had no idea what to write about. It is only Day 4 and I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew.

Looking back over my last three posts, I see that yesterday I concentrated on giving. Maybe I should focus on loving tonight. How can I best show my love for others?

Sometimes, I have often noticed, folks need to simply talk for a few moments. I do not mind that. I probably listen to folks like that more often than most people I know. However, I also tend to try to turn them off according to my needs, not theirs. I cannot figure out when to draw the line. I have a lively list of commitments and I'm usually running from one thing to another. How can I let the person I am listening to know that I must now run along, without hurting their feelings?

Maybe I am relying on my finite instincts rather than on God's infinite wisdom. This might be one area which requires prayer.

Lord Jesus, I want to be a good listener to people who need someone to hear them, but I also have obligations that require my time. Please help me in any way you can so that I will know the right moment when I can tactfully move on to those obligations without offending these folks. Please help me with the right words to say at that moment, as well.

No comments: