Sunday, November 13, 2011

Frequent Prayers and Why I Love Them

I receive a daily email from Joel Osteen's ministry site. A day or so ago, it focused on how many opportunities there are each day for prayer. I can easily relate to that. I cannot pinpoint when it began with me, but somewhere over the last ten or fifteen years, I found that I pray often throughout the day.

Sometimes I am at a stoplight in traffic and I think of something and I say a quick prayer. Sometimes I see a careless driver and I say a prayer. In those instances it is often a prayer for that person to be safe and for everyone around them to be safe. It is often usually connected to a prayer for my own driving safety, that I may not allow myself to become distracted while on the road.

There are times when I am in a store, in line, and hear someone discussing an illness or a family problem, and I say a prayer. I pray for some ideas for these posts. I hear about a natural disaster somewhere in the world and pray for the victims. I see someone losing their temper to a disturbing degree and I pray for peace in their heart and soul.

I get rushed with my daily tasks and drop something on the kitchen floor, and I say a prayer for serenity. I check my finances to decide what I can get at the store and I pray for guidance for wise spending. I pray often for peace of mind, for the ability to love those around me, for the ability to use my time wisely.

I say a prayer on waking in the morning for all the strength I need to do whatever the Lord needs me to do that day.

I end my day, in bed, while shutting my eyes, with a prayer of thanks for all the things I can think of to be thankful for that day.

There are an incredible number of opportunities each day for me to pray to the Lord. Because prayer is simply a one-on-one conversation with God, I feel closer to him the more I take advantage of these opportunities. A feeling of security and love envelopes me because of this habit.

Dear God, thank you for all the chances you offer me to chat with you each day. Thank you for being there.

No comments: