Friday, September 30, 2011

Handmade Christmas Gift Ideas - Annual Ornaments (Chenille Stems)

Today's project in the ongoing daily (until Christmas) ideas for handmade gift projects is for easy ornaments made with chenille stems. A lot of folks enjoy giving a single ornament, a different one each year, to their friends and loved ones. These are rather easy and made with chenille stems. I found this at Beverlys, when I did a web search for chenille stem projects.

Instructions are included for a snowflake, a Christmas tree, a wreath, and a candy cane. You can either work directly from the website or download the instructions.

I can't wait to try the tree. I haven't seen a spiral chenille stem tree before. The instructions make it sound exceptionally easy which is dear to my heart. And the photo looks so cute. The wreath is high on my list, too.

I downloaded the .pdf file and expected to find the wreath template because the website said it was provided, but it was not there. Still, I guess I could make my own easily enough. I might even use some plastic lids that keep accumulating, and cut the centers out of them. I'm going to try to ask Beverly about the template issue and if I have anything to share on that, I'll pass it on.

Note: I have to advise you to be careful when doing candy cane ornaments. I've made some in the past, not as nice as these, but be careful when cutting them. The bottoms can be sharp so be sure they are not given to little ones to play with, unless you can smooth the sharp wire somehow. They really can look cute, but should be used for ornaments only.

For other projects in my series, just look along the right sidebar for the label "Christmas Gift Projects." I hope to post only tips that do not require knitting, crocheting, machine sewing, tatting, embroidery, or any other skilled technique.

No comments: