Monday, May 2, 2011

Willingness to Adjust

I'm not one of those seniors who are frozen in time. It's not that I do not like to reminisce (I do), or that I do not ever resist change (I do), but I do find it fun to change along the way.

Recently, I found a possible way to earn some free lance writing income, income that is badly needed. The last time I earned anything from my writing, editing, or proofing skills, was about 2-1/2 years ago. I write/edit a senior MHP newsletter monthly, but that is non-paid, on a volunteer basis. I post to my blogs regularly, but that, too, in unpaid.

So, when this possibility arose, I was both excited and scared out of my wits. What, I wondered, if I've lost my skills or my edge, after 2-1/2 years? What if I could no longer adapt to someone's specific writing requirements and style? What if I could not learn their upload and edit software?

The "what if's" were eventually outweighed by my inner nature which is a bit adventurous, eager, and chameleon-like.

I submitted my first sample to them today. I will know their answer tomorrow, mid-day - whether or not I made the grade and can continue to work with them. Even if I don't make the cut, it was exciting to find that I had the skills and desire to try. It was exciting for the child in me to give it a whirl.

Thank you, Father, for keeping me young in heart and eager; help me, always, when I resist change, for I am a stubborn and fearful creature at times, as you well know.

No comments: