Saturday, March 19, 2011

Writing - Art or Craft?

Tonight, I made a decision to actively market, or find a commercial publisher for, my self-published paperback, the Busy Person's Prayer Book.

This led me to wonder whether writing is a craft or an art. I "Google-d" the words "is writing a craft or is it art?" and found that most of the results point to the opinion that writing is a craft, including this one.

In the case of my book, I wrote the entire book, I formatted every page, I did all of the word processing, I even chose the cover (from templates, but still a choice) - the only thing I did not do is the actual printing of the pages.

In my Etsy shop, I not only have this book, but also some "event" reports that I create - for now, I have Class Reunion reports and Birthday reports. These reports are great gifts. They pull data from software, data that pertains to a particular date in a person's life - sports, movies, consumer prices, world events, and more. I'm working on adding reports for Anniversaries and Family Reunions. I will be adding more and more background choices. I'll also be adding specific birthday and anniversary themes: 25th, 50th, and so on.

Through the years, I have written many verses that I plan to now put on appropriate backgrounds and sell the digital version so folks can print them on card stock and frame them. One of my favorites is the one I wrote about the Jacaranda tree.

I'm writing this tonight not as a statement of my own efforts, but to encourage you to think of your writing as a craft, too. Don't hold back - share it with others. Let others enjoy what you enjoyed writing.

In addition to Etsy, there are places where you can have your words or phrases immortalized on mugs, tees, calendars, and more - like Cafe Press. At their site, you don't do anything but upload the words and choose the products, then collect the commission from your sales. How great is that?

Go for it!

No comments: