Thursday, November 4, 2010

Encouraging Words

I wanted to write something happy tonight. I received a very encouraging comment on yesterday's post from Kelly. She said she has practiced being silent and her stress level has decreased a lot in the past week. I love some of the comments my posts have received in the past and I might gather some of my fave's into one post one day.

For now, Kelly's comment motivates me to continue trying to remain silent when nothing I can say can change a situation anyway.

Today I went for my pre-op tests, prior to my foot surgery on the 10th. I realize many folks have had bunion surgery, but apparently I have let mine go far too long. I probably should have had it five years ago, at least. At this point, my foot surgeon shakes his head when he looks at the x-ray and calls it a "real bad boy." Not very encouraging (sigh). One bone section is completely dislocated. He will be putting in three pins. For those who are not squeamish, I took photos of the x-ray and put them on Photobucket...the first photo is my right foot with the messed up bones. The second photo is of my ankle with a screw loose from a 1987 fracture. I need this one because I've always known I had a screw loose and now I have proof (lol).

However, he assures me that I will be walking without pain once it is healed. He says that it won't be perfect, that he could do a perfect job if it weren't for my age. If I were younger, he would do several "cuts" over 12 weeks. The risk is too high for me these days with a slightly high blood pressure and low-level diabetes. For me, however, it is a very happy prognosis. It means I can finally wear real shoes again. The past two years, I've been in soft suede moccasins or loafers. The tendons and muscles under my toes are pulled together and I walk on a "lump."

I have always been a walker and I love to walk, so I am looking forward to that before I get too old and develop other medical issues.

Father, thank you for the continued help of this surgeon and bless him, please, on that morning when he must re-construct those bones in those toes.

No comments: