Thursday, September 30, 2010

Preparation...

If you read my post yesterday, we were expecting the passing of one of our charity-crafters, and a resident of our senior mobile home community. She was well enough to do a housecleaning job on Monday morning, but by Tuesday morning, stomach pains had her in the hospital. None of us, not even her husband, knew she had been having these pains for a while. So, Monday she seemed fine, on the outside. By 7:30 a.m. this morning, she was gone. Life is fragile.

Yesterday I wrote about that. Today, I realized I am still dragging my heels about getting life insurance on myself. I am 71. If something happens to my middle-aged nephew, I will be all right. I qualify for many senior programs. In fact, odd as it might be, I would be in an even better financial situation than I am now.

However, if it were the opposite - if I passed on before he does, he is only 54 and his loss of my income would severely cripple his finances. I really do need to get an inexpensive policy on myself. And, considering how quickly Ingrid left this world, this week, I really need to do it now. I should get at least enough for a few months expenses for him, while he adjusts to the fifty-percent drop in income.

In Biblical times, insurance wasn't a reality. They didn't really need it. Worse come to worse, there were probably family grounds for burial. Although, even Jesus had to use a donated tomb. So, I suppose, even back then, final arrangements needed to be made, if possible, in advance.

It is not being morbid. It is being practical. So, I need to end my procrastination. I had tried to do that when our Jane passed away two years ago and we had to have County social services pay for the cremation. Here it is two years later and I still haven't done anything. If this week wasn't a wake-up call, then nothing is.

Dear Father, thank you for the reminder, sad as it is, and thank you for blessing me with the ability to see that as a reminder. Help me, please, to make a wise decision, and soon, on this final arrangements issue.

No comments: