Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Need to Rest

Life has been a little hectic these past few days. Oh, to be honest, it's been like that for quite a long while :-)

Hectic isn't a bad thing. Still, it is easier when I have a small moment, here and there, so that I can re-charge, re-cycle, and re-group. Then I can keep going forward.

Every once in a while, I hit the wall. I seem frozen for a few hours, or maybe even a whole day. I used to feel badly about those times. I felt guilty. I felt lazy. But at 71, I realize that sometimes the Lord knows that I need a breather, even if I don't feel I deserve it at that moment.

Sometimes he just takes over for me and makes me stop.

During those down-times, I try to at least focus on him and on his works. If I can find my little pamphlet of devotionals, I pull that out and read a bit. Or I try to remember those for whom I've promised to pray, and I manage to finally do what I promised - say some prayers for them.
Sometimes I'll just sit for a short while and do some crafts.

When I am really tired and didn't want to give in to that fact, I do allow myself a nap. I ask the Lord to awaken me when he knows I have had enough rest, just enough to awaken and start again on what I need to do for him.

At those nap-times, when I awaken after that little prayer, I am always aware that I feel refreshed and ready to go at it again.

Father, forgive me for thinking I am more than I am, and thank you for reminding me that I, too, must rest once in a while, so that I can give my all to your work once I have rested.

No comments: