Monday, September 27, 2010

Make Your Own Notepads


I'd better stop looking at other websites. I haven't blogged about crochet in a while. Still, I can't help sharing stuff with you. I found the greatest tutorial and supply source for making your own notepads, at Chica and Jo's site. This is a lifesaver for me.

My nephew is a cabbie and he likes those slim memo pads that are sold for shopping lists and to-do lists. But they all cost a lot if you're only using them for scrap on the job. Plus, so many of them have butterflies and feminine designs. He's too macho for those. When we find any that are suitable, he uses them for writing his starting and ending meter readings each shift. During the shift, he tracks the "last cab in line" so he doesn't accidentally jump in front of the next one up, or accidentally miss his shot to move up. On the "line," this can cause what almost amounts to as a riot. I tried cutting 5x7 lined yellow pads in half tall-wise, but they come out lousy. The padding at the top pulls apart and they don't hold together when cut, from the pressure of cutting them. I've tried to coat the top with rubber cement but that didn't work.

At Chica and Jo's site, they not only have a tutorial for making your own pads, but they sell small amounts of "padding compound" which is usually sold only in quart containers, which the average person could not use up in a lifetime. I am in heaven. We will have our own customized pads for as long as he's got the job.

Years ago, I tried making personalized memo pads for gifts. I had to staple them, at that time. I can go crazy with these this coming holiday season. The tutorial also gives many ideas of how and why to pad many different sizes and products. Fun stuff.

Meanwhile, Chica and Jo's site offers plenty of other projects, too. I found it because of my friend, Micki, when I asked about some beautiful curling ribbon coasters she had made. I think you'll find yourself bookmarking this one. I just added Chica and Jo's button to my sidebar, too.


1 comment:

Chica and Jo said...

Thanks for the great comments about our site, Evelyn! We can't wait to see the notepads you create with our padding compound.