Sunday, September 26, 2010

Find the Bible Verse You Need, When You Need It

For a few years, I've kept a bookmark for a website called Bible Gateway. This is a true favorite of mine. At this site, you just click on Passage Lookup or Keyword Search, and you can enter a word, or a few words, a sentence, or more. Choose which Bible version you favor, and then search.

If you do not get any results, just try a different Bible version. The phrasing differs a bit in each.

For example, I once tried to find Isaiah 40:31 (before I committed the reference to memory), and the way I was entering my search words was not working. Finally, I just entered "eagle" and I received a lot of hits but still not what I wanted. Then I realized I should have entered the plural form of the word, "eagles," and I found what I wanted.

It is also a quick way to find and read your favorite Psalm, or Proverb, or other Book or Verse.

It will not replace the paper version of the Bible, for me, but it certainly is a time-saver for my 71-yr-old brain cells, which are now over-loaded with 71 years of facts and memories.

I think one of my "goodnight, Lord" thank-you's tonight will be for the good aspects of the Internet. Too often we moan and worry about the bad aspects of cyberspace, but we forget the wonders of the good. Isn't it that way with our lives, in general, though?

Heavenly Father, thank you for the Internet, especially that which is good, and help me to change that which is not good, by my prayers or my acts, whichever you see as best.

No comments: