Saturday, September 25, 2010

Don't Regret - Instead, Remember

Many times in my life, I felt badly about things I should have done, things I could have done. I regretted not doing them. Sometimes it was something nice I felt about someone and didn't tell them and then they passed on. People tell me that "they know now; they understand." That's not the point. Life on earth is difficult as it is. If something I could say, or do, could ease someone's burden, even just a little, I should do it.

I'm also aware that unless I admit I should have done these things, I will not change old habits. Still, there is a difference between regretting an action not taken, and remembering that incident so I can avoid the same mistake in the future.

Sometimes I say something to someone that a person nearby might thing is sappy or silly or foolish. But if I say it, from my heart, I don't care what others think. I care about what the person I'm talking to is thinking. Did I cheer them? Did I bring a bit of a smile to their face? Did I help them remember a sweeter time in their life? If so, I'm happy about that.

Dear God, help me to never feel foolish about making someone's day brighter; send me the wisdom to know when I can do that, and the courage to follow through, no matter what the rest of the world thinks.

No comments: