Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Stinging Insects and the IRS

At first, there might not seem to be a connection between stinging insects and the IRS. The only connection, for me, is that I have a terrible fear of getting stung by either one.

Stinging insects (bees, wasps, hornets) have their right to be here on earth, and they have their purpose. However, as a little girl in the 40s, I happened to have crossed paths with cross (angry!) bees and wasps, stung by both, at different times. They are probably the only things God made that I have an irrational fear of. My attitude toward them is to stay as far away from them as I can get; avoid them like the plague. You get the idea.

As for the IRS, I fear making them angry, also. However, unlike stinging insects, avoiding an issue one has with the IRS is not a good idea. I've had some old "revolving charge" accounts with them. The taxes go back to a time when I was on contract with a government agency and received a 1099 at year's end. I knew my income at those times was not enough to incur any taxes. Or so I assumed.

I had completely forgotten about the sneaky little critter called the Self-Employment tax.

To make a long story short, I have been trying, very hard, for a few years, to pay as promised on my installment agreements with IRS. I rarely am able to pay even half a year on time. The result is that about twice a year, I receive an "Intent to Levy a Lien" or some such horrifying notice.

They usually allow me 30 days from the date of the letter to work it out with them.

This year, I stalled and stalled, completely frozen in fear, certain that this would be the one time they would not reinstate my agreement and let me try again.

Ok, you know the drill. I prayed, hard, for a few days. Tomorrow was the last day to talk with them. I called this evening, not knowing what I would do if they refused to reinstate it.

The Lord came through, again, for me. They reinstated my agreement. This doesn't mean I will have an easy time of it. But at least I can try again.

Father, thank you for the courage it took for me to make that call, and thank you for the kind and efficient agent you connected me with, and thank you for the relief of the outcome; help me now, to find a way to increase my income so that I can fulfill this righteous obligation.

No comments: