Sunday, April 11, 2010

Shrugging Off Bad Feelings

One thing I have learned in all my years on this earth, and in my relationship with God, is that I am better off when I get rid of bad feelings as soon as possible. It's almost impossible for a human being to never have a down-moment, or a moment of anger or frustration or fear or worry. I've been blessed, however, with enough grace to recognize that the sooner I can shrug off those feelings, the better off I am.

When I get rid of feelings that pull me down, it helps lower my stress-level. It relieves the tight feeling in my tummy, or my nervousness, or other tension-reactors. I am not saying that I never have these feelings. I am saying that I try, with all my heart, to ditch them as soon as I can.

I have pet-phrases I try to use. Many times, when I realize life is pulling me down, I take a deep breath (or at least a breath), glance heavenwards, and say something like, "Okay, it happened, now what can I do to accept it (or change it or fix it)?"

I've blogged once or twice about how much I like the AA Serenity Prayer. Even though I don't like that they never, ever acknowledge the author of that prayer, it doesn't take away from the effectiveness of it. So, in addition to my pet-phrases to change my stress-level, the Serenity Prayer is another resource I depend on, heavily.

I'm not a Pollyanna. Things go wrong. None of us can help that. But I can deal with it much better when I am in a more upbeat frame of mind. I also love the bible verse that says "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Come to think of it, I suppose I have quite a few tricks up my sleeve for when life hands me some troubles.

Dear Father, please continue to bless me with your peace when peace seems far away.

No comments: